Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Unwell...

I had a birthday this last week, it went by very much unnoticed. I'm now 46 years old, goodness me, it's the wrong side of 45, all downhill to 50 from now on in.

Actually my birthday was crappy, really crappy. Since the 24th I have been in hospital, 4 days of which I spent in ICU. Last Sunday I started to feel a little unwell, sore muscles like I had worked them hard. By Tuesday afternoon I had no power whatsoever in my legs and arms and by Wednesday am. it was extending to my fingers & toes and also my lungs, my breathing was very compromised. John took me to my GP, she was flummoxed as to what it could be so sent me off to Emergency and told me to pack a bag.

After hours in the ER, they diagnosed me as having very low potassium levels, I needed significant transfusions of potassium and it had to be done under strict ICU supervision as it can cause cardiac arrhythmias. So there I stayed for the next 4 days, I had a central line inserted, not fun at all.  By Sunday I was able to go to the ward and today I have been discharged.

The Endocrinologist has discovered a small tumour on my adrenal gland which is causing the problem, it also plays havoc with my blood pressure, causing erratic readings. I am going to have it removed in 7 weeks, a very simple day surgery procedure.  It's so good to be home, John has taken the rest of the week off to stay with me, then Easter will be here so I should be okay after then.  Sorry I have been absent, will be around a bit more now.  Much love to you all...(((((((hugs)))))))

In the midst of sadness in losing dear Christa I have some happier news to share...

Our triplets arrived last Friday the 26th March at 1.23pm, 1.24pm & 1.26pm. Harrison, Grace & Sienna were born at 33w4d (phenomenal effort Briohny), and are all around 4.5lbs & breathing room air unassisted. One of the girls has a few apnoea & respiratory probs but maturity will sort that out. For those who pray, could you say one for her please.

Can't wait for photos, will post when I have them.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Kerrie! I had no idea you have been so unwell!!! I'm glad that John has taken a few days off to take care of you...wishing you a very speedy recovery.

Love and Hugs,
Laura

Kori said...

I am so glad to hear from you; happy belated birthday, and with hope when you recover you and John can go celebrate somewhere. So scary to hear about your illness. You must be a little relieved in sense to know what is CAUSING it, though-oftentimes the not knowing is more terrifying.

You-and the triplets!-will be in my prayers.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

I'm so very sorry that you were so sick, but what fantastic news on the triplets! CONGRATS!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kerrie! Happy Belated Birthday and I am so sorry to hear that you have been so sick. I am glad, however, that they have determined the cause and that it is something that can be treated.

And congratulations on the triplets! What an awesome accomplishment by their Momma.